In the years following the Second World War there was rapid development in the region that necessitated the establishment of St Luke’s Revesby, St Christopher’s Panania and St Therese’s Padstow Parishes. For residents of the Revesby Heights area, Sunday Mass meant a pilgrim’s walk to the top of the hill to St Luke’s. It was becoming very clear that the Catholics in the area required a school and a mass centre. Development of the De La Salle school was undertaken, with the first Mass held on Easter Sunday 1959. Mass continued in in this fashion in the school classrooms and then later the school hall.
St Patrick’s Parish was established in 1973 when Cardinal Freeman appointed Reverend Fr Daniel Lyons as foundation Parish Priest.
A cottage on the corner of The River Road and Ferndale Road had been purchased as Fr Lyon’s residence and the parishioners formed working bees to help with the renovations inside and out. A strong sense of community helped make these working bees a success.
Fr Lyons immediately began planning for the future growth of the parish and the construction of a new Parish Church. A planned giving scheme was introduced and was supported enthusiastically. Soon afterwards the design processed commenced, plans submitted and building commenced.
On 11th September 1977, the new St Patrick’s Church was blessed and opened by His Eminence Cardinal Sir James Freeman, Archbishop of Sydney.